Monday, July 31, 2006

The Monastery

"If I'm going to teach you one thing in life, it is about Jesus Christ. If two, then Jesus Christ and faith and love in everything you do, which is really also about Jesus Christ."

I never expected to see a church service held in a Dunkin Donuts, and on a Saturday, but as I was standing in line I heard them all talking over my shoulder. There were about six or a dozen of them sitting there with assorted condiments, bags and bits, and they were talking about Jesus Christ and how to live ethical lives. One guy seemed to be the speaker.

"Have faith in God. Living in faith and without fear means knowing that you deserve nothing that is wrong because you have repented, and that anything wrong coming your way will be merciful and end in God's perfect justice."

Several others also spoke during the time I waited to order, got my snacks, and then I sat down at the table without thinking although I don't usually and I was alone.

There didn't seem to be an order to their churchings. They spoke together freely about whatever topic they chose. All of them from time to time spoke. Until my cell rang I found myself overhearing their conversation with interest.

"Jimbo, when's the ball game? We meeting at Sausage Field?"
"Heck, why not? It was for 3 o'clock."
"Awright."
"I'll check you guys there then. Peace yo."
"Out."

But I threw my trash away and didn't want to leave. I wanted to talk to those people over in the corner. The clerks didn't even talk to them or tell them to leave. They were glowing up the restaurant with their spirits and funk.

Finally, reluctantly, I left. I couldn't just stand by the trash waiting for myself, and Ed was waiting with the bat. But the thought wouldn't leave me.

I'd be back. Or I'd hope they would be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home